Goodall-Witcher Healthcare logo

A History of Caring for Bosque County

Late 1930s – Two Bosque County physicians had a dream — to provide the citizens of the area with the best health care in the most modern facilities available. That dream belonged to Drs. Van Goodall and Seth Witcher and their wives.

1939 – That dream became a reality with the formation of a medical clinic and a 10 bed hospital.

July 1966 – The privately owned hospital started by the Goodalls and Witchers was turned over to a governing board of trustees charged with guiding the newly formed private, not-for-profit Goodall-Witcher Hospital Foundation.

March 31, 1969 – The Goodall-Witcher Hospital Auxiliary held its first meeting.

1972 – A new hospital was built, and the clinic was moved west of downtown Clifton on Highway 219 near the hospital.

1984 – Started the Goodall-Witcher Home Health Agency.

July 1995 – The name of the foundation was changed to Goodall-Witcher Healthcare Foundation to more accurately reflect the broadened scope of care provided to the community.

1996 – The Goodall-Witcher Nursing Facility was opened on the bottom floor of the hospital.

2007 – Clifton Medical Clinic received a new location connecting the new building to the hospital. Renovations were also made to the ER and other facilities.

2011 – Opening of the Goodall-Witcher Fitness and Wellness Center.

2012 – Ownership changed from the Goodall-Witcher Healthcare Foundation to Goodall-Witcher Hospital Authority, a municipal hospital authority created through an ordinance of the City of Clifton.

2014 – Goodall-Witcher Hospital Authority assumed ownership of and began operating Lake Whitney Medical Clinic.

2015 – Goodall-Witcher Hospital transitioned from a PPS hospital to a Critical Access Hospital.

2018 – The Bosque County Hospital District was created through a county-wide election with the authority to levy annual property taxes.

2019 – Ownership changed from Goodall-Witcher Hospital Authority to the Bosque County Hospital District.